March 17, 2012

AmeriCorps - Week 5

Memorial tree marker placed at Campbell Station Park during AmeriCorps Week.
It is AmeriCorps week! I figure that the best way to show my support is to shed a little light on my very own AmeriCorps journey by posting photos throughout the week that mean a lot to me. Today marks the end of the AmeriFestivities. I'd like to thank all of the AmeriCorps Service Members around the country for their hard work. Get Things Done!

My position as the AmeriCorps member for the Town of Farragut's Stormwater Matters program took my already healthy love of serv...ice and gave it a huge shot in the arm.

Moving to a program where I was the premier AmeriCorps member, would often work alone on projects, and would live by myself was a stark difference from my time in NCCC. Though it was an easy transition to go from sleeping in cots in a two bedroom apartment with ten other people to having a bed to myself I must admit.

Get ready for the sappy part because here it comes - the only way I know how to itterate the differences between my two service years is that if my time in NCCC *taught* me how to fly, my time in Farragut has *allowed* me to fly. Never before have I been given the support to pursue environmental service in such a way in which I was capable of adding my own personal signature at the end. The Recyclosaurus, rap battles, and spork videos are all products of the creativity I am allowed and encouraged to use in my service. I know that when my time is through here I will look back and smile at the whimsy that was around every corner, but I will also remember the important work I was privileged to take such a unique part in. And for that I will remain thankful.

I hope everyone had an amazing AmeriCorps Week. I know I sure did. I'd like to close with the AmeriCorps pledge:



I will get things done for America -
to make our people safer,
smarter, and healthier.

I will bring Americans together
to strengthen our communities.

Faced with apathy,
I will take action.

Faced with conflict,
I will seek common ground.

Faced with adversity,
I will persevere.

I will carry this commitment
with me this year and beyond.

I am an AmeriCorps member,
and I will get things done.

No comments: